Here is a report from Asmita Collective (Hyderabad) on their activities!
As part of our combined 16 days of Activism and One Billion Rising campaign, we at Asmita have organised many events.
Our campaign so far:
- We took part in the Hyderabad 7 k run where over 3,000 persons participated.
- We held essay writing and poster making competitions in schools and colleges. The topics for the essay and poster competition were on women’s human rights and notion of justice. We received a total 65 Essays from 9 Colleges in Hyderabad and a total 21 Essays from 3 Schools [2 Schools from Hyderabad and 1 School from Karimnagar]. 12 Students from 4 colleges in Hyderabad participated in the poster making competition.
- We organised a meeting for government officials, anganwadi workers and teachers on their role in stopping child marriages along with AP State Women’s Commission and Tharuni, a local NGO on November 27. Our short educational film on child marriages was screened for the 300 participants gathered for the event.
- A candle light rally was organised along with the women of Addagutta commemorating South Asian Women’s day on December 6.
- A meeting was organised on 10 December 2013 at Sundarayya Vignana Kendram, Baghlingampally, Hyderabad to celebrate International Human Rights Day. Well know Women activists like Vasanth Kannabiran, Jameela Nishat, Sumitra of Ankuram; students and NGO representatives spoke on the issue of Human rights days and the need to address increasing violence against women. More than 200 participants including women working in NGOs from the districts of Andhra Pradesh, students and teachers from schools and colleges in the city, representatives of NGOs from the city.
- 50 Women leaders from Asmita took part in a rally organised by AP State Women’s Commission on International Human Rights Day, as part of the Women’s Safety Week.
- Two pamphlets (English and Telugu) that deal with rising for justice campaign were released. Four posters – ‘One Billion Rising for Justice 2014’, ‘Speak up’ and ‘Break the Silence’ in English and Telugu – were released. A tee-shirt designed for this year’s OBR is for sale.
- A movie screening of ‘Because our Cause is Just’, a film on women’s rights in a democracy, took place on December 17th in the city, as part of OBR 2014.
- Asmita held the first meeting for OBR 2014 with the OBR collective members on 13 December 2013. There are 34 members in the OBR collective from Andhra Pradesh.
Join Asmita on facebook and Twitter to stay in touch with their activities!